Friday, June 20, 2008

We Have Liquids!

Good news on the swallow study!!! McKenna tried a thickened liquid, a half thickened liquid, a regular liquid, and a peach with a lot of liquid and swallowed them all perfectly! It was the swallow clinic's recommendation that McKenna not have a restricted diet and does not need to come back for another study. That's such great news and a relief for everyone! While we need to use caution because she can still fatigue easily if she has something difficult to chew, she can gradually add any type of food she wants to her diet, especially liquids without thickener! Right after the test we went for pizza and soda and then walked across the street for a gigantic bowl of frozen custard with chocolate sauce. During this time of restriction I've secretly gone out for ice cream by myself, but it was sheer joy sitting with our entire family while we ALL enjoyed a bowl of ice cream together.
McKenna's eye exam was a mixed review. Her eyes are doing better at tracking together, but they are still not where they should be. We are to continue patching her eye to try and strengthen it, but if after another 3 months it is still not working as well as it should be, they will recommend a surgery that would help her, but not fix the problem entirely. Please pray for progress for her eyes over the next few months.
My mom is doing pretty well. She is scheduled for PT through June and then will be released. She also has a gallbladder surgery scheduled for July. She is up and around, but tiring easily.
I'm hanging in there as well. I'm so thankful that my fixator is off, but I'm still in some pretty good pain. I get frustrated with how long it's taking to heal, but I just need to remember that I will heal and it's just going to take time. We're looking forward to a nice weekend together. Hope you all have a nice weekend, too.

3 comments:

StacieH said...

Praise God for a joyful moment at the custard shop as a family. The Joy of the Lord is Your Strength. Blessing on you all...try not to grow weary...Jesus is going to help each of you FINISH this race, and the best part is You WIN!! Thinking of you! INHIM~stacie

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to read about Mckenna's swallowing test!! Time to celebrate! Give her a Fat Tire! oops!!! I mean give me a Fat Tire!
Still praying for you all... and still trying to think up jokes to make you laugh or at least roll your eyes! Love you all... Now we ALL can go out for lunch again someday soon and enjoy our usual time of kids climbing under the tables and we don't even have to apologize to each other about anyone's behavior, except maybe Dustin's...
loveya,
LL BEAN

Anonymous said...

Great News! I'll let Lisa know when I talk to her tonight. We continue to pray for all of you to have a full and complete recovery.

Trevor