Monday, June 2, 2008

Picking Weeds

Today is Dustin's last day home before he starts work tomorrow. Since that is the case, we thought we would sit out in the back yard and enjoy the weather a little bit. While I was out there I saw some weeds growing in the rocks so I went over to pick them. The question that keeps burning through my mind is why is all this happening to us? The thought crossed my mind again as I bent down to pull up a weed that maybe God is picking the weeds in our lives. He's picking our control issues, love of things, being selfish with time and agenda, wanting my kids to be and look a certain way, and putting other things before him. There are days where it feels like effort just to crawl out of bed and eat, let alone take care of 3 kids. We're in a position of having to trust God for EVERYTHING! For those of you who know me, you are probably laughing right now, saying, duh, Christy. I have gotten used to having my way when and how I want it and it's clear that there is a different plan. I have no idea what that plan is, or if God will use it in any fashion, but there is nothing left but to trust that there is something better on the way. I keep having to tell myself that things will get better just so I can make it through another day, but I don't feel it in my heart. I'm too lost in the grief of it all. I feel like I've lost all of Spring and I'm just left with the weeds of Summer. Thanks for letting me vent and cry and complain. You all are true friends.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Understanding all of this has got to be so overwhelming. But...we are trusting with you that Jesus has a plan to work this for good in your lives. Praying that summer will bring healing rain to you all and that He will warm you with His summer SONshine!

Anonymous said...

What is impossible with men is possible with God.....Keep running your race....It is difficult enough to be a mother of 3 when life is going smoothly...my heart is there with you.....
LP
Remember--Your father delights in YOU

Anonymous said...

My dearest C and D-
This has been my favorite song lately-- after watching you guys walk thru this accident and recover and try and make some sense of it all, after helping you and hoping with you, and after watching Maria go to heaven, and the tornado in Windsor, the quake in China ...and then in an emotional switch I've watched with joy, my own sweet daughters get married within 2 weeks- in the midst of it all... this song, this message brings such peace to me and comfort...
I am praying for peace for you and comfort too...
Hope you enjoy the words again:

David Crowder Band:

When clouds veil sun
And disaster comes
Oh, my soul
Oh, my soul
When waters rise
And hope takes flight
Oh, my soul
Oh, my soul
Oh, my soul

Ever faithful
Ever true
You I know
You never let go
You never let go
You never let go
You never let go

When clouds brought rain
And disaster came
Oh, my soul
Oh, my soul
When waters rose
And hope had flown
Oh, my soul
Oh, my soul
Oh, my soul

Oh, my soul
Overflows
Oh, what love, oh, what love
Oh, my soul
Fills hope
Perfect love that never lets go

Oh, what love, oh, what love
Oh, what love, oh, what love
In joy and pain
In sun and rain
You're the same
Oh, You never let go

love you both,
LLS
ps Dustin- this is the one I meant yesterday- although the other song is as beautiful as can be... this is the one I was referring to...

Anonymous said...

Christy and Dustin~ to see your beautiful little girl for the first time since before the accident the other day I was flooded by His grace and promise. Seeing Mckenna walk down the stairs with her daddy was such a picture of a walking miracle! She is not just a winner at UNO :) she is just a winner! Hang in there, a lot of us will be praying you through and with hopeful hearts watching Gods continuous work in you and your amazing family! Thanks for letting us be apart of it.
Much love!
B

Anonymous said...

Dustin and Christy,

I have always been the quiet and shy girl in the family and although we haven't talked much or even seen each other very much, once I heard about the accident I started praying and reading all of the blogs. Your family has been in my thoughts and prayers often. It's so encouraging to see what God has already done. And I know that He is still working and doing a lot more. When we are weak, He is strong!! I will be praying for encouragement for you!
Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 2 Cor. 4:16

The Lord has brought and is still brining outward healing but I pray that each day you will find yourself being renewed inwardly as well.


Jenni Campbell

Anonymous said...

I know what it is to question why these things are happening. While in the hospital with my Mom during her battle with cancer, a cousin told us we were being tested with fire. Later, I got an email from a friend with the same sentiment. Here’s the story:

A woman was in her bible study group and read the passage “He sits as a refiner of silver.” She agreed to look into this passage with a local blacksmith. She told him she was interested in the process of refining silver but didn’t tell him anything about the biblical passage.

She watched him work and noticed that he really did have to sit and watch the silver as he held it in the fire. If he left it for too long, it would be ruined. She asked when he knew the time was right. He smiled and said, “When I can see my reflection in it.”

So, though we are tested by times of fire and pain, rest assured that God has us in hand and is watching us. I think that’s a great analogy about picking out the weeds. When God has picked out the weeds of our ego and selfishness, that is when He can see His reflection in us. Keep the faith, for you are all being taken care of.