Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Good News

The telephone rang this afternoon and I expected it to be Dustin telling me the results of McKenna's swallowing test, but when I answered, I heard this little excited voice say, "Mom, I get to eat!" I almost started crying! She was so excited that she had dinner in her room by 4:00! She had pureed mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, and apple sauce. She told Dustin it was the best thing she had ever tasted! So much for home cooking!
The complete story is that she did very well with the pureed foods and the thicker liquids, but she did clearly aspirate the thin liquids. This is okay because they can thicken any liquid like apple juice and milk into a thick mixture that she can still drink with a straw. She is going to be on a pureed diet while her body gets used to having and swallowing food. The NG tube is going to stay in until she is eating enough in calories to sustain her. She will be supplemented in her NG tube with liquids and nutrition until her eating is up to par.
My mom had an x-ray to determine what is causing her all the back pain and it is a broken rib that is still giving her all kinds of trouble. She is doing better on her pain meds and has a follow up appointment with the orthopaedic surgeon tomorrow. They are going to ask him about weight bearing on both legs and about getting her arm that she had surgery on into action.
I went to a very dear friend's daughter's wedding today. It was beautiful and fun. Alia had a great time on the dance floor! She just can't let a good song go to waste! Nat's last day of school is tomorrow. Dustin is going to check into availability at the Ronald McDonald house tomorrow and if it's open we'll go down for a couple of days. I think I might stay with Mac and D will plan some fun things for the kids. Hopefully the plan will work out.
Oh, by the way, I'm sore today from the fall, but I think that is the extent of it. Hopefully I'll heal up quickly. Thank you everyone for all your prayers. We sure are grateful.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Just talked to you - but had to post a PRAISE THE LORD that Mac is eating!!!!

Had a blast at the wedding with you and our dancing maniacs!

Praying you all have some good family time in the coming days at Children's.