Thursday, May 8, 2008

A Good Report

Today I went to Denver to see my orthopaedic surgeon. He said he would like me to have the fixator in for another 4-8 weeks, but he did give me full weight bearing on both legs as long as I continue to use the walker for balance. He also prescribed another antibiotic for the pin site infection. I can begin to "wean" myself from the air cast that I have on my left leg. All this is pretty good news.
After my appointment I went to see Mac at Children's. I haven't seen her since before her surgery and my goodness she was talking more than I've heard since before the accident. It is so soothing to my heart just to sit by her side, hold her hand, and look into those big blue eyes. We think the shunt is probably working since her headache and vomiting are gone. We did find out today that she has pneumonia and will be treated for that. The respiratory therapist said that the part of the brain that is damaged has to do mostly with swallowing, so we're wondering if the little eating that she has done caused the aspiration and pneumonia.
The physical therapists had a meeting today and we finally heard that they are shooting for about 3 more weeks. They are completely surprised at how well Mac is doing and at the amazing progress she has made in just 4 weeks. The therapist wanted her to walk the parallel bars one time today which she did and then she announced that she wasn't done and walked the parallel bars a total of 3 times. Such amazing progress God is allowing her to make. I'm sure it has to do with the amazing prayers of so many. We can specifically pray for her coordination and swallowing abilities and for her eyes to track and work together, since that has been a problem.
Dayspring had a fundraiser for her today where a child could pay $1 and get to wear a hat all day today in class. When Dustin told her about it today she was overwhelmed with tears and sweetly said, "for me?" I know that she is feeling completely loved by her friends and family.
Dustin is home until Sunday and hopefully will spend healing time with Nat and Alia. Chad, Dustin's brother has stepped up to the plate to stay with little Mac for a few days. I think they will get along great.
My mom is continuing to do well. She also walked the parallel bars today in therapy. She is doing all the exercises that is asked of her and is getting stronger each day. The doctors feel that she will be in rehab for about a month before she will be released home.
During these next few days please pray specifically for Mac to learn to swallow without aspirating, for her vision and coordination. Pray that my infected pin site would heal and for more comfort for me. Pray for mom's healing to continue. Pray for Chad and McKenna at the hospital. Finally pray for Dustin's relationship with Nat and Alia to be strengthened while he is home. Thanks, Guys.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again, I say, "GOOOOOOOOO Mckenna...a great huge, jumping, cart-wheeling WOOOOO HOOOOO!". Keep walking those P-bars.
Mckenna's faith can move these "mountains".
Jesus says "Let the children come to me for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these."
Go girl...the glory is the LORD"S!!!
LP

Linda said...

This is such encouraging news. Just a note to let you know that your family has been in the prayers of our Sunday School class (Mountain View Evangelical Free) since the weekend after the accident.

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to tell you that Brian, Lynn & the Stuggie girls continue to pray for you all. We REJOICE with EVERY VICTORY!!!!!

Bless you all with grace, mercy, strength, healing, and awe of our gracious Father God, Lord Jesus, and precious Holy Spirit.

Thank You Lord

Anonymous said...

Awesome progress!!! God is good!

We will keep all that you asked in our prayers. We love you all!!!

Your Friends,

Nate, Heidi, Madeline and Mercedes Webb

Lisa said...

Tears of joy as I read this entry a second time! God is showing Himself SO faithful as everyone makes amazing strides towards recovery.

Our Fellowship Team has been praying for you all along - and we spent time togther praying last night.

We love you guys!