Sunday, May 4, 2008

An Update

The days at home are starting to form a pattern, but are no where near normal for us. I am constantly surrounded by people who are so willing to love and care for us, which is a blessing I am so thankful for. We will never be able to repay everyone for their kindness to us. I am gradually getting better. I'm still trying to wean myself from the narcotics with a patch of pain medication that the doctor prescribed to me and it seems to be going well with this low dose. I haven't been thrilled with my home physical therapy person from the hospital, so my regular physical therapy person that I had been going to since before the accident was nice enough to come to the house and get me on a program that feels better to me. I hope with these new exercises that I can begin to build some strength before my fixator comes off.

McKenna had a good day. Dustin is down at the hospital with her. She had therapy this morning and sat in her chair for quite a while. She is swallowing some applesauce now and seemed pretty alert. She was playing a game with Dustin where she would throw her stuffed animals to him and he would catch them. It was amusing for her and good exercise. She had quite a few visitors this weekend, which she was thrilled about. She is able to recognize friends and family, so I think all the familiar faces make her feel special. She is scheduled for surgery on Tuesday for her shunt. We would love to have all the prayer we can get for her regarding this procedure.

My mom had a better day today. She is now getting an antibiotic for her infection and some pain medication which has enabled her to feel better. She had a lot of visitors today as well. Her brother, Warren, from Minnesota is out to visit her, which is a special treat. Hopefully she will start her physical therapy tomorrow and get on track for moving around on her own as much as possible.

Nat is still really struggling with our situation. He told me tonight that he hates this broken family. I guess that's the way it does feel with Dustin and McKenna being gone. We feel so grateful that McKenna is alive and survived the accident, but it is hard having her and Dustin gone from the house. It won't feel normal until everyone is home. Please pray for his little heart to be held by God. I'm finding there isn't much I can do to comfort him.

Thank you everyone who follows the blog and prays and supports us. We are so thankful and grateful for all our friends. We love you all.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Praying for each of you and asking God to hold each of you in His hands.

We'll be praying for Mac - especially on Tuesday.