Sunday, April 20, 2008

News on Karen

Hi, Everyone. It's Christy here. I wanted to share an update with you all on my mom, Karen. Today her stats looked good so they pulled her breathing tube, chest tubes, and collar shield off today. She was doing really well, and I even got to talk with her on the phone, which was a real treat. Not long after, she aspirated into her lungs and had to have the ventilator replaced. We're not viewing this as a complete set back. She is still stable and needs some healing time for her lungs before she can have surgery. My aunt and cousins came tonight to take my dad out to dinner for a little mental break.

McKenna is still breaking our hearts. Her lungs are just not well enough to be off the respirator, even though we feel confident that she is physically strong. She needs more time for her cerebellum to heal and for her lungs to heal. It is difficult for me to not be able to be there and especially difficult for Dustin and his mom to watch what she is going through. We decided it would be nice for Dustin and Mona to have some company while they are down there so that the emotional burden will be shared. Please continue to lift up Dustin and his mom in prayer that they can endure this hardship. Please pray for Mac to get strong and off the vent permanently. Please also lift up Dustin's aunt Cindy and aunt Pat who are taking care of Grandma Jo during this time (a job that is usually shared between Cindy and Mona). Please pray that they have the endurance, strength and patience that is required to take care of Grandma Jo while Mona and Jim are so burdened by our other family tasks. Pray that Grandma would not be confused, but would have enough clarity to help Cindy and Pat in their daily jobs with Grandma.
I have had a busy day, but also a good day. I'm feeling pain, and heartache, and immobility, but I also am thankful for life and friends and family, some of which I got to see today. I love you all and am so thankful for everyone's generostiy and kindess. More tomorrow.
Love,
Christy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Christy
My mom said that you looked good last night...Garrett has been praying for his special friend, Mafaniel. Know that we daily, hourly, lift up your precious family in prayer...we pray for your healing and heart. You are such an amazing woman--I have always wanted to be like you in many, many ways. God delights in you, girly, and so do I....Have a peaceful Monday....I'll keep checking in.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Christy,
Thinking of you every hour..... love to have you back in the neighborhood and enjoyed seeing Nat playing with Trey yesterday.... he came to our door and I was so happy to see him and I told him how much I missed him and he said.... "Oh Beautiful Da Rahn I missed you too." another one liner from Nat..... He's so sweet. ha ha ha I just had to share with you, hope it lifts you up and gives you a little giggle.
Off to school.....
Love, Da Rahn

Anonymous said...

Dear Christy,
You and your family are on our minds constantly. We have asked to be put on the schedule to stay with you and Dustin. We have also offered to keep Alia and Nat anytime. We would do anything for you all. Our prayers are with you all. I hope to come visit you Wednesday when Cindy is with you. Love, Cindy Miller

Anonymous said...

Hello Christy,

We have been praying for all of you every day. We love each of you and will do anything we can to help.

Much Love,

Art & Karla Long
boulder89@gmail.com
#719-671-8646

Anonymous said...

Dear Christy:
Mike and I are praying for every piece of this puzzle, and for each step that you tell us about through the blog.
It is a special blessing to be able to help your Dad over at West. This was the first day, and it went really well. We are glad he won't have to think about all those responsibilities on top of everything else. Hope your doctor's appointment goes well tomorrow.
We love all of you.
Mike and Barb Webb